This is big enough news for me to write post about it. The release of ArduPilot Mega 2.0 is big step forward in the DIY Drones community and pushes the limits on the Arduino platform. The capabilities of the new board should bring a slew of new capabilities with future releases of the ArduPilot code. The new board should satisfy a lot of the requests from the DIY community. Congrats to the ArduPilot development team!
Here are some of the new features of the board:
- The board comes with 3 processors, freeing up the Arduino 2560 processor for running the code.
- The board now includes the Invensense 6DoF MPU-6000 IMU.
- 8 PWM Outputs – Octocopters rejoice!
- An upgraded barometer with a resolution of 10cm
- A magnetometer is now standard issue.
- A daughter board that mounts to the top of the ArduPilot Mega 2.0. It contains a SD card reader for data logging and a GPS antenna and magnetometer.
The new board comes already soldered and is cheaper than 1.0 costing $199 for the main board, the daughter board and all the sensors.
For more information see Jordi’s blog post: http://diydrones.com/profiles/blogs/apm-2-0-release